[TriLUG] image of hard drive question

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Dec 21 09:16:38 EST 2012

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012, James Jones wrote:

> Joseph,
>
> That is encouraging information. Now it is off to purchase
> a hard drive.

I get mine from Intrex. They have an extended return time
(3weeks?) incase the drive has problems. This gives you time
to run `badblocks -swv` on it before you start using it.

> Any comments, pitfalls during the imaging routine that I
> should be looking for or trying to avoid?

I use dd on a live CD (systemrescue
http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage). I boot
off the CD, dd the image to my backup drive, then mount the
image and fill the empty space with zeroes.

You know what dd does and you aren't dependant on anyone
else to use it.

I run smartmontools on my drives once a month. It only
catches problems about half the time, but it's better than
nothing. Unfortunately you can't run smartmontools through a
USB connection, so you won't get any info on your backup
drive. I have this problem here. It's just life.

Joe