[TriLUG] image of hard drive question

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Dec 21 12:00:37 EST 2012

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012, Bryan Pearson wrote:

> I'll keep "gnu ddrescue" in mind if some blocks have been lost.

If it's clicking, I would do this first and right now. You
haven't lost blocks; you're loosing the drive mechanism (I
think). Use a live CD (any of the ones mentioned in this
thread) in the machine, and a usb flash drive for the log
file.

Do the recovery in two phases. First grab the easy stuff,
and then retry the bad areas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)#Data_recovery

If you're lucky, the bad blocks won't be in a file. Try
fsck-ing the copy at this stage. If you still have blocks to
recover, put the dubious disk in the freezer (in a plastic
bag) for a couple of hours and then ddrescue it in the
plastic bag on the bench (plastic bag, so the disk doesn't
get wet and short out). At this stage you've recovered as
much as you're likely to get and you can thank your lucky
stars.

Joe