[TriLUG] pattern matching in hosts.allow

Blackburn, Marvin mblackburn at glenraven.com
Tue Jan 8 09:40:18 EST 2013

Due to some recent changes I need to make some edits to my /etc/hosts.allow file.
I am having trouble figuring out how to use pattern matching to do what I need to do.

I would like to match a range of ip's (111.222.333.113  to 111.222.333.126).
I would just list them, but I need these same 113-126 on 12 different networks).
If I can get a pattern match that works in ip tables for one network, I'll just duplicate it for the others.

The man page is not as clear as I would like on this and I can't find many examples except for entire octets.

I can't use iptables for the time being and I have to figure out a way to restrict it using tcp_wrappers or I'll have to open entire subnets.