[TriLUG] bogo-bogomips & Scratch tutorial on RPi Re: Raspberry Pi followup

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Mon Jan 14 12:38:35 EST 2013

(Cross-posting, as many Splat Spacers are not on the TriLUG list).

A few more numbers.

Clock setting        Reported bogomips     C program triple-for-loop
elapsed seconds

   700                      697                              16.5
   800                      697                              14.5
   900                      697                              12.9

The C code times were repeatable after the pages had been loaded with
the first execution.

Note that there are a few magic parameters put into the config.txt file
when raspi-config is used to configure over-clocking: it isn't just one
parameter except with the mildest (800mhz) setting, so don't think you
can just edit the file and jam big numbers into the one parameter when
going higher than default. Use raspi-config so you can be reminded of
the fact that you ought to just buy another RPi rather than burn out the
first one. :-)

The same first grader who said "I've used that before" Thursday night
came and gave a Scratch tutorial.

-Pete