[TriLUG] Thinkpad R30, Debian 6.0.6

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Jan 22 14:55:37 EST 2013

Sorry to hear that you're having a rough install, Brian.

Like David suggested, some distros are aimed at "ease of use" and others
have other priorities.  Debian's main reasons for existence include
"completely free" and "elegant packaging" and "somewhat minimalist".

You might want to try Ubuntu, which is a Debian-based distro, but with a
lot of extra effort put into making it more new-user-friendly.  A
freshly-installed system usually gets the basics like video resolution
and pointers installed correctly.

In a Debian or Ubuntu system, you can install extra programs like python
by doing "apt-cache search KEYWORD" and "apt-get install PACKAGE".  On
Ubuntu, you may need to enable an option to pull in more than just the
basics that Canonical has blessed... this would be "enabling the
universe or multiverse" repositories.  Ubuntu has a nice graphical
package selection tool called "synaptic" that lets to enable the bigger
repositories and search for packages. Or you can always edit the config
files in /etc/apt/sources.list .

More than anything, let us know how you're progressing.  This group can
be extremely helpful.

Alan

--
# Alan Porter