[TriLUG] Debian Issues

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Thu Jan 24 14:50:51 EST 2013

Alan,

Agreed on su vs sudo issue. The only reason that I bring it up is that it's
probably the most visible default difference between Debian and Ubuntu when
it comes to using the command line. This might be a stumbling block for
someone new to these concepts.

To hijack this thread slightly while, I assume, Brian is testing the
suggestions put forth here...

On Ubuntu, doing $ sudo -s preserves my normal user's environment. $USER is
still igor, $HOME is still /home/igor, etc. On Debian, doing $ sudo -s sets
$USER to root, $HOME to /root, etc. I can't see a difference in
/etc/sudoers on either system: both contain

Defaults    env_reset

So the question is: how does Ubuntu do it's voodoo?

Thanks,
Igor