[TriLUG] Wifi Adapter for Pi

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Jan 25 21:27:41 EST 2013

Remember too that if you have a rev 1.0 RPi (i.e. one without the two
mounting holes, 1/4gb RAM for a model B) it will *not* pass enough
current through to the USB ports to power nontrivial peripherals (i.e.
much beyond a mouse and keyboard). This is because there is a current
limiting (polysilicon or similar) fuse that limits the current. That's
what all the "You *must* use a powered hub" warnings are about.

With a rev 2.0 board (2 mounting holes, 1/2gb RAM for model B, started
shipping late last year) then the power supply current spec becomes
relevant. And 1.2 amps may not be enough for some setups, such as little
USB disc drives, but we would hope it would be plenty for
keyboard/mouse/wifi.

The symptoms of inadequate current can unfortunately be pretty
confusing, leading a person to think the peripheral is incompatible with
the RPi in some cases.

-Pete