[TriLUG] IPv6, openness, and network neutrality

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Thu Jan 31 14:30:18 EST 2013

Geoff Huston is the Chief Scientist at APNIC, the registry of addresses
for the Asia-Pacific region.

This text is from the end of the article
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/01/why-hasnt-everyone-moved-to-ipv6/

--snip--

End users might not care how their IP addresses are assigned, but an
internet based largely on NAT systems would completely eliminate network
neutrality, Huston suggested. “A carrier-grade NAT is like a toolbox.
The access provider has visibility to the traffic, and the rationing
model changes.”

“Once we’ve exhausted IPv4 addresses there’s no such thing as end-to-end
anymore All of your traffic is pulled apart and sometimes the content is
changed. All of a sudden, openness doesn’t exist any more. This whole
idea of permission-less networking is over if the network is ridden with
middleware and with folks whose economic incentive is to restrict the
edge because they want their money back.”

For Huston, the biggest issue is that the resistance to IPv6 might
signal a move away from the open standards-based world that the internet
has heralded, returning us to the state of technology three decades ago.
“Back then, everything was proprietary. It was a closed world. We never
see much of that any more, apart from the iPhone which is a resurgence
of the same thing. This is a world which is dominated by openness, but
how fragile is this? Will it last?”

“What we’ve really done is shut down the last 10 years of fascinating,
mind-boggling marvellous innovation and replaced it with crap. It’s time
to think about this and choose very carefully.”