[TriLUG] Silly Survey about a dash or a minus in a command line option

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 17:42:30 EST 2013

Hey all, I am in a training class and the instructer asked what is best way to describe the minus character in a command line option. I gave him my answer, but it made me think of all the conversations I have had and I am not sure which is used most, so I would like to ask this group.

ls -la

So is that a (dash)la?
Or a (minus)la?

A simple response with a dash or minus would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help in resolving the critical technicality.

My vote is dash

John Vaughters