[TriLUG] Silly Survey about a dash or a minus in a command line option

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Sun Feb 10 20:58:54 EST 2013

As a side note... maybe it's general UNIX culture to refer to it as a dash
when used as a command option?  I don't even remember when/how I learned
to call it a dash, but I wouldn't call it a minus in a shell context
(unless I was doing arithemetic) any more than I would call "/"[1] "divide
by" in a path.

William Sutton

[1] Major Pet Peeve:  anyone who calls "/" "backslash", especially radio
and tv announcers narrating a web site address.  "/" is "slash" and "\" is
"backslash" and anyone who confuses the two should get the OJ Simpson
treatment:  //\\<esc><esc>