[TriLUG] DNS providers: why bother? was Re: Email Problems

Alexey Toptygin alexeyt at freeshell.org
Tue Feb 12 16:17:37 EST 2013

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Randy Barlow wrote:

> This was the primary reason I switched away from using TW's DNS, and one
> of the main reasons I would have wanted to use OpenDNS. Too bad. There's
> always 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4… for now!

Am I the only one here that runs their own recursive resolver? All I had
to do was apt-get install bind9 and edit /etc/bind/named.conf.options to
only listen on local addresses. Since it runs on my firewall, I only need
one instance for my entire network, and I have dhcpd automatically tell
clients to use it.

Why use some third party service that does who-knows-what sort of
shenanigans?

 			Alexey