[TriLUG] DNS providers: why bother? was Re: Email Problems

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Mon Feb 18 21:12:30 EST 2013

On the subject of DNS servers, I've been meaning to mention and failing to
get around to it, that Bind meshes very well with DHCP.  Most probably use
the DHCP in their router, but one option is to run DHCP3 on Linux instead.
 You can then set it up so that your DNS is automatically updated as
devices come and go on your LAN and refer to them by hostname.  If you
have multiple hosts you can even do automatic fail over of both DNS and
DHCP.

This is an updated link to the one I used several years ago to get this
working:
http://lani78.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/make-your-dhcp-server-dynamically-update-your-dns-records-on-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/

I found it very easy to follow and had it up and running in about an hour
shortly after getting started on Ubuntu Server so it it is newbie friendly
enough.