[TriLUG] One Board PCs Like the RPi

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Tue Feb 19 14:43:16 EST 2013

On 02/19/2013 02:12 PM, John Mitchell wrote:
> Humm,
>
> Pi = 512 Meg Ram, 1 GHz, $35.00  about 250,00 users
I think the sales estimate at this point is over a million. The factory
in England was making 16k/week last I heard and arrangements have been
made for the Chinese to manufacture a supply for their own people.

> OM = 64 Meg Ram, 454 MHz, $59.38  about ?? users
>
> Duh!

The Linux port is likely to be very constrained with only 64mb of RAM.
On the other hand, the Olimex board has very rich GPIO.  (I like Olimex
a lot. IMO they make great stuff.) Unfortunately, GPIO is absolutely
irrelevant to a Squid server, right? Tell us the truth: You want the
weekend cat food dispenser capability for when you're at the beach. The
cheaper board has no wired ethernet, but (if memory serves) provision
for a WIFI chipset. It's been my experience that the actual performance
of WIFI vs published performance in comparison to wired ethernet is
similar to the actual performance of government vs X where X is anything
except an opossum crossing the road or somebody with two freeway
transponders in their car.

I would mention Beaglebone/Beagleboard, but the price of those is out of
sight compared to RPI.

IMO a used laptop might be worth considering.  Although the RPI can be
set up with nothing but power supply and network connection and remotely
accessed through a full GUI desktop, there's something to be said for a
keyboard you can actually type on and a display you can actually look at
when the LAN is screwball, power is flakey, etc. And the power
dissipation isn't too bad. My old G4 Powerbook sucks around 13 watts and
can still do work.

-Pete