[TriLUG] Steam says that two percent of its users are now on Linux

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 17:48:38 EST 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

> Brandon is talking about SHARING contributions to open source. This is
> more of a GPL philosophy.  Use the source, but if you improve on it, share
> and share alike.

No, I'm talking about Apple's proprietary business model being worth all
the money.  Apple is *not* compatible with anything else in any way that
matters for making Apple money.  That's why MS wants to be Apple, and
Canonical wants to be Apple.  Nobody's sharing the consumer market, they're
fighting tooth and nail over it, with incompatible proprietary
implementations.  Although in Canonical's case, they might pull a rabbit
out of their arse that benefits Linux generally.  But I'm doubting it, as
it reeks of NIH and platform fragmentation, the main thing that drives
consumers away from Linux in the 1st place.

Cheers,
Brandon