[TriLUG] Open Source vs Closed Source

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 11:54:01 EST 2013

>One reason I see people sticking with MS, there is someone to call to
>provide support.

I beleive RedHat and Unbuntu as well as others do have user support if you pay. I think the main reason is most people only know of Apple or Windows, they are not even aware of any other choice. Linux is mostly for the techies, even though you no longer need to be a techie to use it. System76 sells Ubuntu computers, but they fail to make an impact. Tiger/Comp USA do not advertise Linux as a main offering. Having said that, the strides of techies using Linux is also unstoppable, Especially among the younger generation. Try to work with college students in Tech areas where they are not exposed to Linux. As these youngsters move into business, Linux will continue to make strides. As they move into Management, we may see significant rollover. So in my retirement, I will be watching for this linux invasion.