[TriLUG] Is TWC throttling CDN traffic (youtube/amazonprime/netflix) ?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Mar 20 11:04:00 EDT 2013

> There has been some chatter lately about the possibility of TWC
> throttling CDN traffic for youtube, amazon prime, netflix, etc.

I'm not entirely sure how this iptables rule works, but I assume it's
blocking some proxy at TWC.

When we had similar suspicions about AT&T DSL, I would try playing
videos with and without and SSH/SOCK5 proxy.  With the proxy, the videos
ran fine.  Without, we saw a steady pattern of "30 seconds good, 30
seconds blocked".

When using the proxy, the video traffic is encapsulated in an SSH tunnel
that runs to my web server in a Linode data center in NJ.

Just another test to try...

BTW, please don't run your video traffic through an SSH tunnel to
pilot.trilug.org.  Our free account at Sungard is rate-limited, and that
would kill the connection for everybody.

--
# Alan Porter