[TriLUG] Best printer?

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 09:08:34 EDT 2013

A few months ago I was in the same situation (old HP with expensive cartridges), and a good friend of mine recommended the "Canon MFC8380Cdw" printer.  I purchased it from PCRush for about $380 (cheaper today at $360) and received it in just a couple of days.

After using it for a while, I must agree this is a very good printer.  It is a color printer with fax/scan/wifi capabilities, and it prints fantastic.  Best of all, the replacement cartridges are very inexpensive compared to the HP stuff.  I am able to scan using the flatbed and scanner feeder directly to an SMB storage area on my linux machine.

Here are some links you might find useful:

http://www.pcrush.com/product/All-in-One-Multifunction-Printers/755105/Canon-imageCLASS-MF8380Cdw-21ppm-600-x-600-dpi-Wireless-Network-Color-Laser-Multifunction-Printer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PK-Canon-118-2BK-CYM-Color-Laser-Toner-Cartridge-for-MF8350Cdn-MF8380Cdw-/350535925107?pt=US_Toner_Cartridges&hash=item519d91bd73

I don't know if it is supported under Debian, but the Canon page has drivers for "Linux".  I use it with my Mac, and it works wonderfully.

-Ron