[TriLUG] "Light" monitoring

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Fri Mar 29 12:10:49 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 08:57:27AM -0700, John Vaughters wrote:
> +1 on Monit, simple and light weight. However, for even more basic information on really skinny embedded systems, consider "uptime" for cpu load and "free" for memory usage. You can easily script that and send it to another computer for analysis.

That latter was what I started as a roll-your-own solution.  I was
wondering about what was recommended, though.

> To answer your question simply on the multi-cpu's, it is 1.00 per processor. So a quad cpu would be maxed at 4.00. Having said that, it really is not that simple, because it depends on the thread distribution across processors. Meaning it is possible for a single thread to wipe out a single core and that process may suffer. I would recommend that you start logging the cpu load and see if you can find a correlation to failure based on uptime output. BTW - uptime is the same load as top.

Thank you.  That was ( sort of ) what I thought.  Yes, I knew about
uptime, w, top, etc.  They are all similar, but different.

I will check monit.  I took a look at pingdom.com, and it certainly
looks interesting.

Brian