[TriLUG] Android browser -> Linux web server using only Bluetooth?

Andy Barnhart arbarnhart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:42:54 EDT 2013

I have a project where I will have eLinux running on a device and I want
users to be able to walk up to it and connect to it with a browser on an
Android device using BT. Not just random users, but people who are users of
the device (it's okay to require something to be installed on the Android
device specifically to support this). This will be the command and control
connection. There will sometimes be no other connection outside of the BT
between the two devices; this has to work off the grid.

I am no Linux guru; I am actually fairly new to Linux though I have been
programming in other environments for a long time, with stints of having to
use systems similar to Linux sprinkled in.

I think I could run a DHCP server and DUN server on the Linux box and run a
BT DUN client (there are several on Play) on Android to make the
connection. Would that work? Is there a better way?

I am not sure that web pages will really be the best interface, but the
other alternatives I am investigating either require and/or would be
simplest to implement with a connection that supports TCP.

Thanks for any advice...
Andy