[TriLUG] About time-warner broadband

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Mon Apr 8 13:05:31 EDT 2013

David

You wrote -- How does your T-W Business Class compare w/r/ to the
block-lists?  (And do you have the static IP option?)

On Static Ips on Business Class, I have 5 static ips on my account. I
can reduce my costs by around 25 dollars if I just use 1 static ip. I
want to reduce it much more than that.

jcj
On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM, David Burton <ncdave4life at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know that T-W blocks any ports, but most big mailservers block SMTP
> (port 25) from mailservers on dynamic IPs, by checking reverse DNS, or by
> checking sorbs and/or spamhaus:
> http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist/spamhaus
>
> To check your IP, see:
> http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check
> and http://remote.12dt.com/
>
> My Time-Warner residential IP (which is "dynamic" but hasn't actually
> changed in many months) is blacklisted on:
>
> dnsbl.sorbs.net
> dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net
> pbl.spamhaus.org
> zen.spamhaus.org
> dyn.shlink.org
>
> How does your T-W Business Class compare w/r/ to the block-lists?  (And do
> you have the static IP option?)
>
> BTW, has anyone talked T-W into selling them a static IP for Residential
> Class service?
>

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM, <matt at noway2.thruhere.net> wrote:
>
>> I am planning on doing the exact same thing in June is up with TWC-BC,
>> entirely for the purpose of saving money.
>>
>> I am not aware of TWC residential blocking any ports, at least they didn't
>> used to but residential spam bots have become such a ubiquitous problem
>> that blocking port 25 brings a lot of protection without inconvenience for
>> >99.999% of their customers.
>>
>> My thought was to create a VPN tunnel between my home machine(s) and the
>> front end hosted server, effectively making the hosted system part of the
>> local net while encrypting the traffic and avoiding port blocking.
>>

>> > Since I have cable in place and no land line phone service, I will
>> > probably go with Time Warner Broadband residential service.
>>

> That's almost certainly your best bet, if AT&T U-Verse isn't available.
>  Not satellite, that's for sure!
>
> However, you can probably get AT&T DSL (current promotional rate $15/mo)
> even *without* land-line voice service.  Once upon a time they wouldn't
> sell you DSL w/o a voice line, but that changed some years ago.
>
> Dave
> --
> This message was sent to: jc jones <jc.jones at tuftux.com>

Jc Jones