[TriLUG] Odd website behaviour

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Tue Apr 9 15:08:17 EDT 2013

Folks,

Once again I am digging into the extensive knowledge of this group.

I have a database driven web site, Apache + PHP + Informix in AIX, that
has been running, in this machine, for serveral years.  Of course, the
code has varied over the years as improvements have been requested by
the client.

However, this particular feature has worked for a long time, perhaps as
long as the site has been around.

Just recently, it has stopped displaying images.

The images are stored in the database, and there are two methods for
displaying them.  Either they are retrieved from the database with an
external program, stored in /tmp and displayed from that file, or they
are streamed directly from the database field with an echo.

The web page has an IMG tag that points at the PHP function that
retrieves the data.

As I say, this has worked for years, until quite recently.

There is nothing in Apache's error_log except a warning that headers
can't be sent twice, but that hasn't stopped anything before.

Apache and PHP have not changed during this period, while it worked or
afterward.

If I take the picture that is in /tmp, I can display it by addressing it
directly, but the web site refuses to show it "normally."

Any bright ideas?

Thanks,
Brian