[TriLUG] TWC BC periodic internet disconnections

John Riselvato jdriselvato at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 10:21:39 EDT 2013

I also run into this issue. Around 11PM my internet starts to slow down (to
the point that I have to wait on loading youtube videos to listen to music)
and then around 1:00AM it drops and I need to reset mt connection. I
usually then have to wait 5-10 minutes to get my laptop to connect again.
As a programmer, between the hours of 10PM-2AM are my most important times.
It's rather irritating.

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Stephen Bryant
<stephen at stephenbryant.net>wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> I ran into similar issues with my home connection, which also uses the
> Ubee DDW3611. I was able to resolve the issues by putting the modem in
> bridge mode, and using another system as the router. The bridge mode option
> isn't available via the modem menu, but you can access it by going to
> http://<router_ip>/TlModeChange.asp
>
> --
> Stephen Bryant
>

> On Apr 11, 2013, at 9:56 AM, Bill Farrow <bill at arrowsreach.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm struggling with the customer support people at TWC Business Class
> > over periodic disconnects.  Every 30 hours or so the internet
> > connection stops working, sometimes for a minute or two, but other
> > times the outage lasts for several hours until someone gets on site to
> > power cycle the modem.  One of these outages happened during a VOIP
> > conference call with a customer.
> >
> > We are using a TWC BC provided Ubee DDW3611 modem (details below), and
> > we have a static IP.  Connected to the modem is an Ubuntu 12.04 server
> > running Zentyal 3.0 (Small Business Server).  This Linux server is
> > configured with a static IP on the WAN and  uses a fairly complex
> > iptables firewall config.  The Ubee modem is configured with a static
> > IP, and the server uses that as the gateway IP.
> >
> > I am now monitoring this from home using a bash script that pings
> > several IP addresses every minute.  When the TWC BC internet
> > disconnects, I the script is unable to ping the modem's static IP or
> > the linux servers static IP.
> >
> > After talking with TWC BC support, they added the modem to their
> > "Watch List" for a 72 hour period.  During that time we lost internet
> > again and called support.  They claimed there was nothing wrong with
> > the modem, and it must be our equipment and we should power cycle it.
> > I'm not convinced, so I am asking here - have I missed something on my
> > Linux server that could be causing this outage, or is it really a TWC
> > BC problem ?
> >

> > Cable Modem : DOCSIS 3.0 Compliant
> > MAC Address : C4:17:FE:xx:xx:xx
> > Serial Number : BC11U2900xxxx
> > Boot Code Version : 10.1.2
> > Software Version : 8.6.2009
> > Hardware Version : 4.31
> > CA Key : Installed
> >
> > Bill
> > --
> > This message was sent to: Stephen Bryant <stephen at stephenbryant.net>
> http://www.trilug.org/mailman/options/trilug/stephen%40stephenbryant.net
> > TriLUG FAQ          :

> This message was sent to: John Riselvato <jdriselvato at gmail.com>
> TriLUG FAQ          :

John

"Its the Othello of programming languages: a minute to learn, a lifetime to
master" - mwn3d (RosettaCode irc)