[TriLUG] [Splat Space] [PROPOSAL] trianglehackers.org - wiki / etc. for all things "hackerdom" in the Triangle

Jeffrey Crews cruzetti at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 12:08:46 EDT 2013

Phil, we appear to be duplicating each other!

A while back I started talking with a social media maven whom I know, and
we were tossing around the idea of a metagroup umbrella for all the
Triangle hackery/makery groups. She was going to present it at the
Lightning Talks at the Library, but fell on the ice that morning and
couldn't make it.

I have kicked this into high gear again with her since yesterday because
TSRDU is closing AND because she is probably going to be leaving the area
for California next month.

My initial idea was:

1. No changes to any group's website, and obviously no governance over any
group
2. One front page with a listing of all participating groups, from which
you could click into any of the individual groups' existing sites.
3. One calendar to which all participating groups can post their events of
interest - it would not replace any individual group's calendar, but would
be one place that anyone could go and see all the stuff in the Triangle for
that month.
4. One forum to which anyone could post news - visits by big names,
upcoming makerfaires or whatever. Obviously this would need to be set up
from the get-go so that we have a clear means of approving or deleting
membership based on spam.
5. Open to any maker/hacker nonprofit or  government group ( by which I
mean specifically library or school tech clubs)

What do you all think? I think the time is ripe, and I can get her in to
have a meeting about this. She's been looking at other areas that have done
something similar.

jsc