[TriLUG] VPN (router) recommendation

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Fri Apr 19 09:16:34 EDT 2013

On 4/19/2013 1:02 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> Here's how you can get it tonight for zero dollars...
>
> 1) Grab an ancient computer from your garage. I'd say a Pentium III
>    with 512MB and a 2GB drive would probably be good enough.
> 2) Cannibalize a second wired NIC from an even older computer.
> 3) Download OpenBSD and install it on the old computer, CLI only.
> 4) Make it into a PF firewall. See this:
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/pf/

I just happen have a computer that approximately meets those requirements
sitting around the office, just waiting for somebody to put it back
in service.  Two of them actually. One was formerly a firewall and
already has dual NICs installed. I think that one is a PII. The other
is a P4.

Contact me off-list if you're interested. They're free.  Located near RTP.

Chris

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services