[TriLUG] Palmer for another SC term; proposed amendment to the bylaws

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Apr 26 12:24:13 EDT 2013

So after reading all the emails, and the posts, and the websites, and
the policies, etc., here are some thoughts from a lurking, "old" member.

Here is my background as pertaining to TriLUG: I am a long time member
(since 1998), a former SC member and a former room sponsor (RTI). Since
the move to Red Hat's campus (wow that was a LONG time ago), I haven't
been able to get to many meetings due to family and community
responsibilities. I lurk a lot on IRC, and read almost all the posts on
the mailer. I even still have my "gold" TriLUG membership card. ;)  I
know most folks in TriLUG don't know me from Adam, and that's ok.

With all that said, I don't see how this proposal will help TriLUG's
"gender imbalance". I don't necessarily see it hurting either, but I see
nothing that it will do to help. Over my 23+ years in the IT world, I
find there just aren't as many women interested in this field as the
men. Not to say women aren't as good as men. By no means. My wife TAUGHT
me Unix. I know 2 ladies from TriLUG (oddly enough both named Lisa) that
can run circles around most men in this field, including me! The women
in my department are what most of you would deem as experts if you ever
had the honor of working with them. But that doesn't change the fact
that the majority of the IT world is men. Personally, I could care less
if it's a man or woman, just as long as they get the work done, and done
well.

Now the fact that there are women who don't want to come to a TriLUG
event because of males of the species being stupid jerks, that's a
different story. I do know there are guys in any organization that are
just jerks. I won't call them "men" because they don't respect others,
and I won't give them respect they don't deserve.

So, here are my recommendation to the SC, and to TriLUG'ers in general:

Before adding yet another requirement/resolution/amendment to the
bylaws, ask the men, the real ones, to step up and say to the jerks, "We
won't allow harrassment, period". Folks, just treat each other with
civility. And hold each other to a high, professional standard. If you
do this, the jerks will go away.

And if I remember correctly, the SC already has the right to revoke
memberships (trying to recall from memory because I can only find the
Articles of Incorporation are online). I don't remember on what basis
though, sorry.

As for the specific wording of the proposal, it is very limiting and I
believe will, in the end, cause folks that you want to keep in the
group, actually leave TriLUG.

As a silly example, I wouldn't be able to pick on Tanner about servers
(ahh the days of old), or Tarus about his hats, or Kevin about his going
to the "dark" side, because that could be construed by someone as
"offensive verbal comments related to [their]... physical appearance...
or technical background".  Now I know this example is way out there, but
I purposely chose this to show that these types of policies only open up
the door for complaining, and clics to form to get someone removed,
power stuggles, etc. I've seen this happen with other volunteer groups
that have enacted similar policies to the point the group just folded.

Note: (I chose these guys for my example because I know them, they know
I'm full of it anyway, and they would know this was an example and not a
flame.)

I appreciate, and applaud the work that Christobol put into this. I
think his point of civility, respect, and encouragement to follow this
common sense approach is right on the mark, AND I believe each TriLUG
member should use it as a standard and guide, and should hold
themselves, and their fellow members to it, when at a TriLUG event.
However, I believe adding this as a bylaw will cause unintentional
consequences down the road. More tension, and less relaxed times with
fellow linux enthusiasts, and geeks (yes I are one!).

I'll put it this way, you can't legislate morality, nor common sense,
the members of the culture has to demand these from each other. As Ron
White would put it, "You can't fix stupid".

What I'm suggesting is that all TriLUG'ers follow this policy on the
honor system, but don't vote it into the bylaws.

Just my $0.02. Please, keep the change,
-Roy