[TriLUG] Fwd: Sign this Petition - Explain why taxpayers pay out billions to Microsoft and get nothing in return, while Linux is free!

Jeremy Davis jeremyhwllc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 23:59:13 EDT 2013

Dear friends,

I wanted to let you know about a new petition I created on We the People,
a new feature on WhiteHouse.gov, and ask for your support. Will you add your
name to mine?  If this petition gets 100,000 signatures by May 26, 2013, the
White House will review it and respond!

We the People allows anyone to create and sign petitions asking the Obama
Administration to take action on a range of issues.  If a petition gets
enough support, the Obama Administration will issue an official response.

You can view and sign the petition here:

http://wh.gov/tdGA

Here's some more information about this petition:

Explain why taxpayers pay out billions to Microsoft and get
nothing in return, while Linux is free.

Explain why taxpayers pay out billions to Microsoft and get nothing in
return, while Linux is free. In contrast, using tax dollars to pay for
research and improvements to Linux, as well as free open source software in
general, would benefit everyone. When taxpayers pay for roads everyone
benefits because everyone can drive on them. This is not the case with
proprietary software,such as Microsoft, because taxpayers cannot use the
software that is paid for by tax dollars. However, it would benefit the
taxpaying public if open source software, such as Linux, were used for
everyday government computing. Any tax dollars spent on research for patches,
upgrades, and improvements would be shared benefits for all Americans who can
simply download and use Linux anytime for free.