[TriLUG] Fwd: Sign this Petition - Explain why taxpayers pay out billions to Microsoft and get nothing in return, while Linux is free!

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 16:01:31 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Jeremy Davis
<jeremydavis at jeremydavis.biz>wrote:

> As far as the TCO analysis goes, it may be cheaper in many cases to
> use proprietary software, however, as a tax payer I would still prefer
> investing in something I can have and use after it is paid for vs
> something licensed that I can't touch or even see the code to verify
> what we paid for. If tax dollars paid for our highways to be built and
> then a private company charged tolls indefinitely to use them, people
> would protest. However, most people in the general public probably
> don't realize their tax dollars could be improving the software they
> have available.

You shouldn't be preferring that if you have to pay a lot of guys like me
$100/hr to reach solutions in open source, when proprietary solutions are
already available off the shelf.

> BTW you can petition anything. Someone started a petition to build a
> Death Star by 2016 and it received over 100000 signatures plus a
> response from the Administration.
>
> https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/isnt-petition-response-youre-looking

Well as long as using the system as a comedy channel is done in
moderation....

Cheers,
Brandon