[TriLUG] Fwd: Sign this Petition - Explain why taxpayers pay out billions to Microsoft and get nothing in return, while Linux is free!

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Sun Apr 28 09:01:30 EDT 2013

I tend to agree with Brandon on the practical application of technology
for a specific role (based on what meets the pragmatic functional
requirements) rather than an ideology-driven technology agenda.

For example, while Ubuntu is trying to become the generally accepted
end-user Linux, I know non-technical people who bought a Dell Ubuntu
laptop, tried it, and sent it back for the Windows version, because they
were comfortable with Windows and (to them) the frustration factor wasn't
worth it.  Yes, perhaps to some techies, this is the equivalent of using a
box-end wrench where a ratchet would be a more powerful tool, but
sometimes even the box-end wrench has its place.

Moreover (going back to the Ubuntu example), most people understand when
their Microsoft system gets patched, reboots, and keeps on going.
Sometimes there are odd issues, but generally it keeps going.  Not
necessarily so for Linux.  I've heard horror stories from people who tried
to do what was an allegedly transparent upgrade from one version of Ubuntu
to another and had very serious version incompatibilities that were either
sorted out by long tedious troubleshooting (which the average Windows user
can't, doesn't want to, and shouldn't have to do) or by a fresh OS intall,
reconfiguration, and data restoration (also things the average OS user
doesn't want to mess with).  I've personally run into those sorts of
breakage on Debian, Gentoo, and older versions of Red Hat.

Next, much custom business software is Windows-only.  Quicken.  AutoCad.
Various other office appointment and client management systems (like those
you see at your dentist/doctor/Line-X shop).  Some of these are used by
government *contractors*.  Sure, a lot of things can be done in Wine, but
it's one more layer of complexity for a lot of folks who don't have the
spare time or brain cells to devote to being computer experts, when they
have their primary task at hand (whatever it may be).

On the government contracting front, bear in mind that many "government"
systems are actually developed, hosted, and (at least in terms of
underlying infrastructure and personell) owned by contractors.  The
"government" (which one?  US Federal?  local state?  county?  city?  The
Republocracy of Podunk?) has differing regulations on what can (or not) be
used and (often) the cost pricing for the product to be purchased.  You
can't push "the government" to do anything in particular, because there is
no such monolithic entity.  Now if you want to lobby your Federal
Government state representative to require that all Federal agencies and
departments migrate to Linux for desktops, that's another thing.

Next, the Federal government has standards for what can, or cannot, be
used, and in what situations.  In some instances, those are security
standards, based on what can (or cannot) be evaluated.  For all of
Microsoft's security problems, they at least have a closed development
product and an identifiable set of programmers, so they can certify their
software to be free of any rogue logic with a certain degree of
confidence.  Moreover, as a single organization, they can take ownership
of their products.  Open Source in general, and Linux in specific, don't
have those abilities, due to the by-definition ability of almost anyone to
add some code somewhere which isn't sufficiently well vetted.

I'm not a Microsoft fan.  I'm not even (necessarily) a proprietary tools
fan.  I'm a fan of technological pragmatism:  use what works for you,
because it works for you, or because it complies with your client's
requirements.  If you know someone who is interested in changing, by all
means show theme.  But don't alienate half the world with an arm-twisting
introduction.

William Sutton