[TriLUG] DHCP and Road Runner

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Sun Apr 28 11:14:04 EDT 2013

I'm trying to configure a Debian box as my main router, attached to my cable modem from
Road Runner. I can't DHCP to work, though. I don't get an IP address. It seems to be a
config problem on my side. I've tried different things in dhclient.conf, but nothing seems
to work. Here's what I've got right now:

send host-name = gethostname();
send dhcp-client-identifier 1:10:0b:a9:44:4e:7e
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
    domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name;
    require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;

Also, I've disabled iptables, and disabled log_martians and rp_filters in sysctl.

I know the Road Runner DHCP server's working because I can get a DHCP lease with a
TP-Link router I have. And, I know the Debian box is working as a DHCP client because
I can attach it to the TP-Link router and get a lease.

Thanks for any advice...
Sean