[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 14:48:18 EDT 2013

A statistic I found notable, because it's the largest statistic of all the
questions asked:

*What do you think it will take for women to be successful in the
technology field? (More than one response allowed)*

Equal pay for men and women with same skill sets:

Women: 65.5%                      Men: 46.8%
Really?  Are there industries where the equality of pay situation is
substantially better than the tech industry?  I mean, if you're shopping
for equal pay, what are your career options?  Isn't discrimination
everywhere, in roughly similar amounts?  If so, then there's no choice to
be made here, and this statistic merely expresses a desire.

Cheers,
Brandon