[TriLUG] hosted vs inhouse mail server - email providers

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Wed May 1 13:58:57 EDT 2013

> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Chris Bullock <cgbullock at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> So our email server is VERY old and has needed to be replaced for a few
>> years now.  It's running postfix, dovecot, and mailman with Squirrelmail
>> as the web UI.
>
>> What is the group recommending?
>
> I was going to recommend postfix, dovecote, mailman, and roundcube :-)
>
> At work I use Zentyal (Linux Small Business Server) which nicely
> integrates the above tools into a single web management gui, along
> with ldap. http://www.zentyal.org/

If you have working configuration files for all of these server apps,
updating them is a relatively easy process, at least compared to getting
them to work initially.

I think that your going to be looking at expensive alternatives for
equivalent full service providers.  For the most part, mail servers are
fairly low maintenance and with a solid GUI like Postfixadmin, managing
accounts is downright easy.  Perhaps you could contract the initial setup
of a replacement as a project and add a periodic update/review (e.g. an
hours per month) without needing a full time admin?