[TriLUG] Discrimination <- Re: The biggest deterrent for women in tech

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Wed May 1 16:48:02 EDT 2013

Ryan Leathers said:

> ... but we need to consider individuals - not whole genders.

I think it was part of a response I ultimately decided not to send, but I
think it's worth stating, since I've noticed some waving of statistics as
well as anecdotes in recent discussion:

Statistics do not describe individuals, and individuals do not make
statistics.

Statistics describe only the /probability/ of an individual to display a
certain trait and the causes thereof.  Put another way, statistics describe
the probability of causality, given a correlation.

In "the tech industry," "TriLUG" is an individual.  Tech industry statistics
regarding women are alarming.  TriLUG displays alarming traits with regard
to female attendance.  Is the connection worth investigating?  Absolutely.
Is the connection a foregone conclusion?  Absolutely /not/.  We can conclude
neither "TriLUG must be hostile to women because tech industry statistics
say so" (statistics do not describe individuals) nor "TriLUG must be hostile
to women because this woman says so" (individuals do not make statistics).
We can't even conclude "TriLUG must be hostile to women because there are
few women in TriLUG" (correlation does not imply causality).  What we CAN
assert is the statistics, anecdotes, and correlations exist, making the
possibility of a hostile environment within TriLUG worth investigating.
Anecdotes alone, in my mind, make the "hostile environment" issue worth
investigating.

At any rate, I will be making every effort to be at next Thursday's meeting
in order to cast my vote on the issues at hand, and I encourage everyone
else to do the same!

Cheers,
~Brian