[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

Danielle Danielle at whitrel.com
Wed May 1 17:38:55 EDT 2013

On 2013-05-01 15:42, Linda Gardea wrote:
> Interesting read on toys & gender from ny times editorial.  Seems
> that
> gender typing serves capitalism quite well.
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/opinion/sunday/gender-based-toy-marketing-returns.html

I particularly like this quote, "That’s ridiculous, of course: it’s
impossible to neatly disentangle the biological from the social, given
that children are born into a culture laden with gender messages."

This is a point I find to be often missed or, at least, misunderstood,
in these conversations - it begins early and is heavily comprised by
issues that are easily dismissed as minor but which are as single flakes
of snow in an avalanche.

I had an example on a conference call today, which was attended by a
number of colleges of whom I was the only woman. Early in the meeting,
the individual who called it read off the roll head of who was in
attendance. He consistently referred to my male coworkers as "Mr.
[surname]," but to me by my first name, and this continued through the
call.

Regards,
Danielle