[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

Linda Gardea linda.gardea at gmail.com
Thu May 2 09:29:45 EDT 2013

>  Women should know this and
> try to leverage this strategy. I'm open to tips from you fellas too :).
>

> If you're not a professional negotiator, that bit of selective observation
> doesn't help you in the slightest.

I noticed that I only became comfortable initiating negotiations after I
had a family.  It was at that point that I felt like being unfairly or
under compensated was a disadvantage to my entire household.  I am not a
professional negotiator, but I know how my willingness to negotiate changed
as my perspectives changed.  If I had been thinking like that sooner in
life I suspect I could be further along financially.  After I had made this
change, I saw the stats on women's ability to negotiate better for 3rd
parties and I suppose it just rang true.