[TriLUG] Can't open socket

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Fri May 24 09:38:27 EDT 2013

I have just recently had an issue appear on a machine that has been
running, untouched, for multiple years. ( the code in question for
between three and four, the server for almost two between reboots )

Now, without any apparent cause, it is saying "can't open socket," or
words to that effect, when it tries to contact recaptcha.net.  I also
tried changing the address to the new Google one, with the same result.

I tried increasing the socket range in /proc, with no effect.

This is a CentOS 5.6 machine, with MySQL 5.0.77 and Apache 2.2.3, if
that matters.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian