No subject

Sun Jun 2 12:36:39 EDT 2013

some trouble traveling within a house. The devices, I'm told, should not
be plugged into a surge suppressor, and certain devices like common AC->DC
wall warts will decrease the network speed to/from a node. One web site
suggested that an operating vacuum cleaner could take a few nodes off the
network, or even bring down the network.

>I'm sure this is providing someone with a good laugh, but like I said,
>I'm not EE.

I don't think you're providing anyone with a good laugh -- you have good
questions. Between not being an EE and misleading marketing speak, it can
take a while to see the pros and cons of HomePlug in action.

The conclusion I came to was that if you just want a simple way to share
an Internet connection between several fat client computers, HomePlug can
work well. But if you have or will have thin clients, play games across
the LAN, or otherwise make heavy use of the LAN's bandwidth (NFS, SMB,
etc), HomePlug is not for you.  Power lines were never meant to support
data.

--
Jeff Jackowski
        http://ro.com/~jeffj/