[TriLUG] Getting Server Side Includes running on Apache & Linux

Paul Boyle pboyle at uwo.ca
Thu Jun 6 13:50:40 EDT 2013

Hi,

This may be just marginally on topic for this list (because I'm running
apache on Linux).  However, I respect the guidance and opinions of the
knowledgeable people on this list.

Here is my problem:
I've had a webserver (apache) running on opensuse12.2 for awhile now.
I've developed a need to use Server Side Includes (SSI). I've followed
the documentation on the apache.org website to enable "Includes" and
XBitHack. I've set up a file called htdocs.conf in /etc/apache2/conf.d/
(this is the directory where site specific configuration tweaks go in
the opensuse distro) which contains the following (comments deleted for
brevity):

<Directory "/srv/www/htdocs">
Options Includes
XBitHack on
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

I've made the .html file I want included to be executable. I've stopped
and started apache via the systemctl facility. I've tried testing the
SSI with both: <!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->

as well as with the actual .html file with:

<!--#include virtual="xray_facility_header.html" -->

However, when I paste the contents of the "xray_facility_header.html"
into the index.html file, it comes up OK. This seems to point to a
problem with the SSI configuration rather than a problem with the
included file.

This a rather vexing problem because there are no error messages
or other information in either the access or error logs for apache.
I've also tried the AddType AddHandler method which outlined in the
apache docs.That gave no different results. I would prefer to stay with
XBitHack if possible. Thanks for any help.

I've posted this query to the opensuse forum, but no one has ventured a
response yet.

Regards,

Paul