[TriLUG] colo and dedicated servers

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Thu Jun 13 16:39:48 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 04:17:33PM -0400, Igor Partola wrote:
> One thing to consider is growth. While renting hardware may seem like a
> waste, in a year or two you can get a machine that's twice as fast for the
> same price. If you buy, you'd have to upgrade your existing hardware. Also,
> if you buy and something goes wrong, you pay the price of the repairs,
> while if you rent, that's on the provider's tab.

That is a good point.  We just went through some big "stuff" on a client's machine in a data center, where a pair of 2TB drives in RAID 1 was added a couple of months ago, and one of them failed and was causing a lot of grief.  The data center staff helped diagnose the issues and replaced the bad drive.

Brian