[TriLUG] OT Local Electronic DIY Store

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 14:59:40 EDT 2013

> If they were to become the "go to" place for Linux based computing, MSFT and Apple would have a much greater situation on their hands.

That is a very interesting concept. We have to face the reality that the general public is Un-aware of Linux and a sales channel like Radio Shack could present that opportunity for exposure. It would harken back to their roots as well, where they were really a source of DIY electronics and not just a retail provider of consumer goods, but it would be a more modern DIY. It would offer a lower cost of ownership of a computer with a place to take it if things went wrong. They could host maker groups to promote their products.

I wonder how their toe-in-the-water back to their roots with the Arduino is panning out for them? Late to the party and overpriced in a highly competitive internet world, the challenges are there, but I see that your idea is interesting, and as the article pointed out 6 years ago, I too have predictied them to fail in the new electronics world, but they keep chugging somehow, but not from my sales, only under desperation will they get my business, which happens 5-6 times per year. If they went you route, that might change my habits at their store.

Good thought!

On a side note, I was in a small town near Springfield, MO and ran across an old Radio Shack store that was half Lawn Equipment and half Radio Shack. It was an awesome blast to the past. It was what I remember Radio Shack being when I was younger. Full of components and items needed to build and test electronics. Hardly any of the end consumer related products. They had everything I needed to fix the machine I had to service and was in a crunch to complete. It was a great experience. The owner knew how to fix everything. To give you an idea about this town, at least half the cars I saw were from the 60's and were still daily drivers. This was in 2006, so we are talking real old time town. Honestly I had to pinch myself to beleive my environment.

John Vaughters