[TriLUG] Flash drive data recovery

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Thu Jul 4 12:23:42 EDT 2013

Success !

Moose and I successfully recovered the files from the 8GB USB flash
drive and backed them up to Moose's laptop.

A large book had fallen onto the Flash Stick while it was sticking out
of the computer, ripping the USB connector off, tearing up the pads
and tracks, and breaking the PCB.  We had to repair the broken tracks
on the PCB first, and then solder a USB cable directly to the tracks
and vias that remained.  This required SMD soldering tools and
inspection scope. Challenges like this are always fun !

The take home message is: Backup, Backup, Backup !

Bill