[TriLUG] Soon-to-be new RasPi owner

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Wed Jul 10 10:35:36 EDT 2013

> ... without toddlers trying to climb the ladder too, or eat them.

Don't eat your toddlers.  Wait until they're teenagers.

Since things get to North Carolina from Texas a lot faster than Malaysia, I
got my Pi yesterday and have since tinkered with it enough to:

- Power the device (and attached USB keyboard/touchpad) from my TV's USB
port
- Load Raspbian using the NOOBS package
- Output 1080p to my TV
- Run graphical Links2 from the command line (without X)
- Watch YouTube videos from the command line (without X)

Of course, only the first two of those are at all useful to the intended
project, but one must play with one's new toys, mustn't one? :-)

Anyway, my goal is a Star Trek: The Next Generation-themed display for
various home automation and security features, such as light switches, zoned
HVAC, and motion/intrusion sensors.  Obviously it's a long term project
overall, but I am planning on blogging about it over at <plug
class="shameless"> http://triangularlifenc.blogspot.com </plug>

While we're on the topic, does anyone know about any good text-mode
on-screen keyboards that would work with the gpm text-mode mouse driver?  So
far the only osk's I've found seem to be graphical X apps.

Cheers,
~Brian

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:10 AM, Brian <lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com> wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> Just polling the list for personal Raspberry Pi anecdotes; I've got a
> Model B on order (plus a 10" capacitive touchscreen kit from
> chalk-elec.com) that I'm planning to use for a home automation project,
> and wanted to hear about peoples' experiences/troubles/cool projects.
>
> There've been some occasional disturbances on the list regarding what's
> on- and off- topic lately; if anyone wishes to contribute but feels it's
> not good material for the group at large, by all means feel free to reply
> off-list.
>
> Cheers,
> ~Brian
> --