[TriLUG] When away from home

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Jul 16 12:22:33 EDT 2013

Your brother needs to establish a "meeting point" on the internet.

Basically, from the small server, he runs SSH to some place on
the internet, like maybe login.trilug.org.  He sets up a listen port,
like this:

smallserver$ ssh -N -R 20001:localhost:22 jcj at login.trilug.org

Then when someone runs ssh to port 20001 on trilug.org, that
connection is whisked down to his little hotel server.

alanshouse$ ssh -p 20001 jcsbro at login.trilug.org

This ends up creating an SSH-through-SSH.  The first SSH is the
tunnel, established from the hotel to TriLUG.  The second SSH
goes THROUGH the tunnel, from TriLUG to the hotel room.

We can hash out more details if this sounds like something you'd
like to try.

Alan

--
# Alan Porter