[TriLUG] Using my second router as repeater

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 01:48:24 EDT 2013

It'd be a lot easier to just buy a repeater. Intrex has the "Winstars
WS-WN518N2 300Mbps Wireless Repeater/Access Point, 802.11
b/g/n<http://www.win-star.com/eshop/goods.php?id=133>"
for $29.99. I've used it, and it was straightforward to set up, and seems
to work okay. The only annoying thing is the strange form factor, which
covers up an entire power outlet.

Note that it "repeats" onto a different (configurable) SSID than your
primary network, unlike some other repeaters that I've seen. I think I
prefer this way. Repeaters that duplicate the main SSID result in a more
"seamless-looking" network, but they confuse me, and you're never really
sure what you're connecting to.

I'd never heard of iBall or your iBall router before, but here's there
manual for it:
http://www.iballbaton.com/Download/84/iB-WRX150N%20-%20QIG.pdf
I don't see it in the DD-WRT supported device
list<http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices>,
though it might work if it's a clone of something else.

Dave