[TriLUG] Using my second router as repeater

Daniel Sterling sterling.daniel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 10:34:28 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Bill Farrow <bill at arrowsreach.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Michael Alan Dorman
> <mdorman at ironicdesign.com> wrote:
>> It sounds like what you're looking for is support for WDS.
>
> Wireless Distribution System (WDS) works by having a wireless
> router/access point operate as a repeater, receiving packets and then
> retransmitting them to the destination host.  Don't expect great
> performance.

I've had good success with WDS. I bought two identical Netgear APs and
told them to connect to each other and share the same SSID, and it
Just Works. Of course, connecting APs with a cable should be your
first choice, as a cable is indeed a more reliable and less jittery
connection.

At one point I had three APs all serving the same SSID. I prefer this
because I don't have to manually choose which SSID to connect to, and
a proper client will always connect to the best available signal.

However, if you don't have proper clients or want to ensure you're
connecting to a specific AP, you can certainly set up multiple SSIDs
and manually switch between them as you move about.

-- Dan