[TriLUG] Have a Job[s] - Python, PostgreSQL Development

John Wheeler jwheeler at etherealfringe.com
Fri Jul 19 12:09:09 EDT 2013

Hey Trilug,
I have been a follower of ( and very occasional contributor to) the mailing list discussions over the years. After moving further west to Winston-Salem, I don't make it to many Trilug meetings these days. However, when they asked me about professional open source developers, I knew exactly where to go.
I currently work with Inmar in Winston-Salem as Platform Architect, striving to lead a team of developers down a conscientious development path as we build web services, SAS management applications, and consumer web portals in support of the Digital Promotions Network. Our primary development language is Python. Our Primary databases are MySQL and PostgreSQL. We are supported by a talented DevOps team who helps us to leverage AWS stack components where appropriate to improve resilience and scalability. Like all shops we have automation challenges, we have scalability challenges, we have analytic challenges. All honest challenges that require conscientious, seasoned developers to solve and to help shape the future of our product in a competitive space.
Inmar's Digital Promotions Network department is hiring experienced developers to build scalable, RESTful web service applications in Python, deployed onto the AWS infrastructure. You will find the brief job descriptions below. If interested, please touch base with me.

Senior Python Developer [multiple positions]

POSITION SUMMARY
Python Application Developer that performs work assignments as part of an agile team; participates in sprint planning, backlog grooming, daily stand-ups, sprint reviews, sprint retrospectives, and provides support for applications.

MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Actively participate as a member of agile teams.
Write Unit Tests.
Write Functional Documentation.
Write Code.
Participate in code review.
Squash bugs.
Automate processes.
Support and Mentor team members.
Solve problems, address challenges, enjoy it thoroughly.

EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
-   Bachelor degree in Computer Programming, Computer Science, or Information Systems AND/OR related work experience (Python development, Web Services development)
-   Experience working with Agile methodologies.
-   Experience with web applications or service oriented systems using Python (or similar development experience in another scripting language)
-   Experience with PostgreSQL is a plus.
Job Location
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
Position Type
Full-Time/Regular

PostgreSQL Data Developer
Summary
Under the general direction of the Director or Manager of Application Development, the PostgreSQL Developer will design, develop, test, and deliver artifacts to be deployed by the Inmar Data Management Team.  The ideal candidate will have a strong background in PostgreSQL development and python or similar scripting languages.  The candidate will also work with product owners and application development team members to size efforts, collect requirements, and document the solutions in the Digital Promotions Network.

MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- ETL Software Development (in Python) with a focus on low-latency, low-impact data flow.
- Design, Development and Testing of PostgreSQL artifacts.
- Provide schema design feedback and database performance recommendations.
- Provide technical recommendations for the PostgreSQL environment.

EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's in Computer Science or related technical field or similar work experience.
- Experience implementing and optimizing the PostgreSQL RDBMS.
- Experience developing with Python or similar scripting languages.
- Experience with Database Design and Schema Design.
- Experience with Cloud based systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with shifting priorities.