[TriLUG] Raspberry pi stuff

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 12:05:38 EDT 2013

Steve:

I haven't done much, I only have one and I've only had it for a couple weeks but I'm hooked.  I'm not much of a developer but I can write a mean script and I'm comfortable in the *NIX space having worked with it for 20 years (but I'm a quick study and I have more free time than I care to have so why not build something).

So far I've built a wireless router that I've turned into a TOR router but the TOR router really isn't that useful to me so ill repurpose that into something else.  I used a model B.

Next is a motion detection camera and I can't seem to source one of the Raspberry Pi cameras so I'm going to run put and pick up a Logitech quick cam, disassemble it and see if I can cram the  lens into the front door peephole so I can be notified when I'm at work that a package has arrived on days I order one.  I've set up a multiple camera motion system before so that part should be a problem.  The peephole part?  It's been done but not all that well from what I've seen.  But it's something to tinker with.

Beyond that z wave integration would be next, I think.. With voice control.  I've seen the voice control demos using a raspberry pi and it's too cool not to have.  A more comprehensive security system would be in the mix somewhere.  If it all works well it would be neat to have the front door recognize me as I drove up and it would turn on some lights and unlock the door via z wave, once I'm convinced that z wave is secure enough that I could trust it not to open the door via some z wave hack.

The reason for the VESA mount is for a pi development machine with a GUI.  I'd like to find a monitor with both HDMI and a powered USB hub built-in but they seem quite expensive, compared to what I thought they would be.

Oh, and I've never built a robot in any kind so that would be cool.  I have no idea to what end purpose the robot would be used but it would be neat to build all the same.

In short, the Raspberry Pi is just the board I've been waiting for and I can't wait to tinker with these things to find cool applications for them.

Greg

Sent from my iPad