[TriLUG] Best appliance for Linux firewall?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Aug 9 02:38:39 EDT 2013

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 15:12:23 -0400
Ken Mink <ken.mink at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/08/2013 09:57 AM, Brian Henning wrote:
> > Hi Gang!
> >
> > At home, pretty much all my services and stuff run on a single box,
> > and that box is starting to collapse under the weight.  I'm ready
> > to start divvying up functions across discrete devices.  First to
> > go is the firewall; not a heavy-hitter, but easy to carve off.  So,
> > what do people suggest as the best appliance-form-factor Linux
> > computer?  Obviously 2+ NICs is the biggest priority.  Here's what
> > I've considered so far:
> >
> > 1) WRT54GL + OpenWRT
> >    Pros: Inexpensive, solid
> >    Cons: Don't need another WAP
> >
> > 2) Globalscale Mirabox
> >    Pros: Fast ARM CPU, could host additional services w/ outboard
> > USB HDD Cons: Globalscale's iffy reputation, relatively unproven
> > product, more expensive, possible to perma-brick
> >
> > 3) ???
>
> I use a SheevaPlug with a cheap USB NIC for the second port. It runs
> DHCP and Bind as well as a home-grown firewall script. It uses an SD
> card as main storage, so you buy what you think you'll need. It's
> also has a built-in JTAG port, so it's difficult to brick.
>
> Ken

Ken, Do you use the USB NIC on the Internet side of the firewall? Does
it have enough speed not to be a bottleneck to your broadband
connection? How much bandwidth are you getting through it?

I hear endless debates about whether or not a USB NIC can carry the
load, so I'm really glad to meet someone actually doing it.

Thanks,

SteveT