[TriLUG] Best appliance for Linux firewall?

Ronald Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 09:29:51 EDT 2013

For those of you who are looking for a true DIY project, take a look at the WatchGuard Firebox units on eBay.  Pick up a X550e or X750e then install pfSense on a CF card.  Those units have multiple GigE connections and make a good home firewall unit for cheap.

Here is a good Wiki article on getting pfSense running on the Firebox units:  http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/PfSense_on_Watchguard_Firebox

These units can be easily had for $40-100 on eBay.

-Ron