[TriLUG] rc.shutdown on a CentOS system

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Mon Aug 19 14:29:39 EDT 2013

Hi Gang,

I've started running some services inside a chroot jail, and to streamline
start/stop of them, I've created a couple shell scripts.  Good so far.

Now I want them to start/stop with the system.  I've added the startup
script to /etc/rc.local, and that's well and good.  However, CentOS doesn't
have (by default, that I can find) a similar script for shutdown.

What I've done is create /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown, symlinked it in /etc, and
created symlinks to it in rc0.d and rc6.d called K00local (similar to the
S99local links in the other rcN.d directories).  It all seems to work.

My question is, was this a right/good way to achieve what I want, or is
there some other mechanism that I should be using?

Thanks!
~B

PS: Got my mirabox in.  Working on building a custom 3.11-rc6 kernel and
debian-installer root fs so that I can get an armhf-architecture Wheezy
setup (GlobalScale's default package is an armel-architecture Debian based
on kernel 2.6).

          Brian Henning, Software Engineer

    /\    Pine Research Instrumentation
   //\\   2741 Campus Walk Ave, Bldg 100