[TriLUG] netperf 2.6 and firewalls (correction)

Blackburn, Marvin mblackburn at glenraven.com
Tue Sep 10 15:51:04 EDT 2013

A correction,
The command that I was tring to run is:
netperf -H systemA_IP   -f -M -l 60

-----Original Message-----
From: Blackburn, Marvin
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:47 PM
To: 'trilug at trilug.org'
Subject: netperf 2.6 and firewalls.

I am having trouble getting netperf to run through a firewall.
I have installed netperf 2.6 on two RHEL 5.7 64 bit systems.

System A runs netserver and outputs this command
Starting netserver with host 'IN(6)ADDR_ANY' port '12865' and family AF_UNSPEC

System B is the client and run netperf with the following options
netperf -H systemA_IP  -p 12865,12865 -f -M -l 60

If the firewall on System A is not running the command completes as expected.
However, If I start the firewall (iptables) with port 12865 open it does not.

I've tried using the -p option, but either it does not work correctly or, most likely,
I'm running it incorrectly.

I have seen this posted in other places, but can't find a answer.
Any help would be appreciated.